JoyFoodly‘s Chef Hollie Greene came and made turkey meatballs with us, and they were quick and delicious. They can go on a salad, in pasta or just on their own. We had them with mashed cauliflower mmmm. Here’s how to make them:
Moist and Meaty Florentine Turkey Meatballs
Dark meat ground turkey give these meatballs the meaty taste you’re craving but with a leaner protein than ground beef. They are moist and satisfying with parmesan cheese, garlic and onion and packed full of green goodness with spinach – that makes these balls Florentine!
1 small onion, grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1/4-cup whole wheat bread crumbs (**for a gluten free version, you can add the same amount of cooked quinoa vs. the breadcrumbs)
3 tablespoons organic ketchup
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 cup packed baby spinach, stems removed, chopped finely
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-pound ground dark turkey meat (can substitute with white meat ground turkey)
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Add the onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, spinach, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet with parchment.
3. Drizzle a little olive oil on top to help brown.
4. Flip over ½ way through cooking time to allow both sides to brown.
5. Bake for 20 minutes total, until cooked through.
6. Often, I make these ahead and reheat them in a non-stick pan to get a little sear on them and serve hot!