Thank you Alison Mountford of Square Meals for cooking and sharing this delicious recipe with us!
BRAISED CHICKEN WITH OLIVES, ASPARAGUS, GARBANZO BEANS
• 8 organic chicken leg/thighs, trimmed of excess fat
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• Generous pinch red pepper flakes
• 1 cinnamon stick, or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups organic chicken broth, homemade or store-bought
• 2 lemons
• 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
• 5-7 stalks asparagus
• 1/2 cup pitted green olives, such as picholine or castelvestrano
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or chives
Pat the chicken dry and season salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary, and cook until well browned on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Decrease the heat to medium. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the juice of 1 lemon to deglaze the pot, stirring to loosen any bits stuck to the pot. Stir in the broth, the lemon zest, and juice from the 2nd lemon. Cover, and bring to a simmer. Add chicken in and all the juices. Return to a simmer and cover partway, cook for about 20-25 minutes.
Add chickpeas and olives and asparagus – stir gently to combine. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until chicken is very tender and asparagus is cooked. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste; you may want to add another squeeze of lemon juice or pinch of salt. Garnish with the herbs.
Serve over rice or smashed potatoes.